May 16, 2022
Company: Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario
Description of the organization:
The Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario (HEQCO) is an agency of the Government of Ontario that brings evidence-based research to the continued improvement of the province’s postsecondary education system. As part of its mandate, HEQCO provides policy recommendations to the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) to enhance the accessibility, quality and accountability of Ontario’s colleges and universities. Current research topics include access to postsecondary education for historically marginalized groups, the enhancement of student learning opportunities and outcomes, and institutional and sector sustainability.
HEQCO is strongly committed to developing an equitable and inclusive community. We believe that diversity strengthens our work and our workplaces, and we encourage applications from Black, Brown, Asian, Hispanic and people of colour, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+, gender non-binary/gender non-conforming individuals and additional marginalized groups and these intersections who may contribute to the diversification of our perspectives and ideas.
The Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario (HEQCO) is in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and its regulations as applicable. To request HEQCO material in alternative formats, please contact email@example.com. We invite successful candidates to inform us if they require accommodation in the workplace.
|Internship position title:||Research Intern|
|Location:||Remote, with possibility for some in-person meetings in Toronto|
|Duration:||2022–23 academic year (fall and winter terms), with possibility of extension into summer|
|Type:||Part-time contract position (up to 20 hours per week at $23.50 per hour) for 9 months|
HEQCO is seeking skilled postsecondary students or recent graduates to join its small and dynamic research team. We will help you develop knowledge and skills that will be useful for your career success and provide you with the opportunity to familiarize yourself with the current landscape of public policy research in Ontario’s postsecondary sector. You will bring enthusiasm, curiosity and a new and diverse perspective to our organization.
Reporting to one of HEQCO’s research directors, the research intern may be responsible for any or all of the following:
- Conducting literature reviews, developing surveys and performing scans on topics in postsecondary education;
- Writing and preparing proposals, briefings, reports, graphs, tables and presentations for HEQCO staff;
- Conducting quantitative and/or qualitative data analysis;
- Developing infographics; and
- Organizing and/or participating in meetings/webinars with external partners.
As a research intern, you will be involved in a number of activities. You will collaborate with HEQCO colleagues on research projects that will expose you to a variety of research methods in public policy. Your work will be guided by a HEQCO senior researcher, who will assist in developing your skills and knowledge. Additional opportunities for informal mentorship and networking with staff will also be available during your internship. There will also be opportunities for professional development.
HEQCO team members are currently working remotely. Our work is facilitated using a number of online communication and collaboration tools, including Zoom and Slack.
- Currently enrolled in or recently graduated from (within the past academic year) an undergraduate, diploma/advanced diploma, master’s or post-graduate program;
- Quantitative or qualitative research experience;
- A demonstrated interest in the postsecondary sector, policy, and government, particularly in Ontario;
- Organized, self-motivated and able to work both independently and as part of a team in a remote work environment;
- Flexible and able to adapt to research team needs as they arise;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills, such as collaboration, conflict management, creativity and critical thinking; and
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
Preferences and assets:
- Experience using analytic software, such as Stata, R or Nvivo,
- Experience using data visualization or design tools, such as Tableau or Microsoft PowerBI,
- Experience using Slack, SharePoint, Zoom and Microsoft programs,
- Relevant work, volunteer or extracurricular experience related to postsecondary education and/or policy.
Number of positions: Up to four Research Interns
Interested applicants are invited to submit both a cover letter and résumé electronically by Monday, June 6, 2022 to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your cover letter and résumé combined should not exceed three pages. Attach your cover letter and résumé as one PDF or Word document using the following naming format:
As part of your cover letter, please include the following:
- Identify a current issue that you think is important in Ontario’s postsecondary sector.
- Provide a brief description (125–150 words) of why the issue is important from your perspective.
All interviews will take place using Zoom. Please note that only those selected to participate in the hiring activities will be contacted for an interview. If selected for an interview, you will be required to provide two references for potential follow up.
Due to the volume of applications that we receive, please note that we will not confirm receipt of application packages. All applicants will be contacted by email once the position has been filled. We thank you for your interest.